Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The First Million is the Hardest to Make

I think I heard a millionaire say that once, and it's probably true. I do know that the road to my first million has been somewhat rocky. And a few weeks in, I know that the road to the first Saucy Bears cartoon is full of some pretty jagged-ass rocks, too. For the most part, this is because I've ditched the way I used to make cartoons. The old way involved moving two-dimensional characters against stationary two-dimensional backdrops. The new backdrops are three-dimensional, which changes the process a great deal. Now, instead of drawing a separate backdrop for every angle in every location, I simply position a "camera" and snap a picture. The upside is that I can make the world of the Saucy Bears feel more authentic by constructing a 3D world for them to inhabit. The downside is that constructing a 3D world can be tedious and time-consuming. Another (and perhaps the most important) plus is that I will be able to reuse and build upon the current world for subsequent cartoons. Economy!

Damn. If I had a budget for this project, I'd be way under right now and in need of a shady accountant.

While you're waiting for me to actually have something real to show, how about have a look-see at something I made today:


(you can now click for large-making)





2 comments:

  1. I think you heard that thing about making a million on Mafia Wars. But I'm not calling you out.

    I have no idea what Saucy Bears is, but I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to find out.

    ReplyDelete